Barcelona secured a 1-0 victory over Rayo Vallecano on Monday night, with Frenkie de Jong once again taking his place in the starting midfield.
The Dutch international appears to be gradually winning the battle for a starting role over Marc Casadó, as Hansi Flick continues to put his trust in him. After struggling with injuries earlier in the season, De Jong is now playing a key role in Barcelona’s push to finish the season strongly. His presence in midfield alongside Pedri has given the team greater control, with his ability to dictate the tempo and link up play proving crucial in recent performances.
In his post-match press conference, Flick stopped short of declaring that Casadó had definitively lost his place in the starting eleven, despite his impressive performances in the first half of the season. However, the German coach made it clear that he is highly satisfied with what De Jong has been delivering in recent weeks. "Casa hasn’t done anything wrong, and I told him that," Flick said to the Spanish media after the game. "But at this moment, this is the situation because Frenkie is doing very well. He is playing at a very high level in possession, and that is something we need as a team. Right now, Frenkie is starting, but Casa is also doing well. It’s not about one player being chosen against another everyone has their role to play."
The numbers support the shift in midfield hierarchy. Of Barcelona’s last four La Liga matches, De Jong has started three and even captained the team twice in the absence of Ronald Araújo. He was also named in the starting lineup for the 5-0 Copa del Rey victory over Valencia and the Champions League clash against Atalanta. Casadó, meanwhile, has seen his minutes decrease significantly, featuring only as a late substitute in the last two league games and coming on in the closing stages against both Valencia and Atalanta.
Spanish media have also acknowledged De Jong’s growing influence and the fact that he appears to have won the internal battle for Barcelona’s deep midfield role. AS noted, "The Dutchman has taken another step forward, and at the moment, he has taken over the number 6 position from Casadó. He did a great job winning back possession and collecting the ball between the center-backs." Mundo Deportivo echoed that sentiment, highlighting how "he helped the team out of difficult situations with his precise passing."
De Jong’s resurgence is not just a boost for Barcelona but also for himself personally, as he aims to reclaim his place as an indispensable part of the squad. Earlier in the season, injuries had disrupted his rhythm, and there were moments when his influence on the team appeared to be waning. However, his recent performances have reinforced why Barcelona fought so hard to keep him amid interest from clubs like Manchester United in recent transfer windows. His ability to break defensive lines with progressive carries, control the game with intelligent distribution, and provide defensive coverage makes him a complete midfield option that Flick has increasingly relied upon.
Casadó, who had impressed when stepping in earlier in the season, now faces a different challenge continuing to develop while competing with one of Europe’s most accomplished midfielders. Despite his reduced minutes, the 19-year-old academy graduate is still seen as a key part of Barcelona’s long-term plans. Flick’s words suggest that while De Jong has won the battle for now, Casadó remains very much in contention for opportunities, and given Barcelona’s packed schedule, rotation will be necessary.
For De Jong, his current run in the team is an opportunity to fully cement his place as a leader in Barcelona’s midfield. His performances in the coming weeks will be crucial, particularly with the club still fighting on multiple fronts. As long as he maintains his current level, it will be difficult for Flick to leave him out of the starting eleven, and the Dutchman could prove to be a decisive figure in the remainder of Barcelona’s season.